[lbo-talk] About the joke "The Aristocrats"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 00:02:51 PDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

>Joanna:
>
>Is this a joke? It has to be. Either that or you are tone deaf.

Whatever.

> The joke in the Aristocrats is its study in contrasts, the sheer contrast between the act's name and the action in the routine. Aristocrats are mannered and restrained and refined. This act is the extreme opposite. End of discussion. End of joke.

It's not the end of the discussion because what "aristocrats" are is a whole lot of things. Of course, they present as "mannered, restrained, and refined" but that reality covers up a lot of shit. And everyfuckingbody knows it at some level. That's why the cannibals/aristos version is funny.

Jokes, like poetry, have got about seven layers of meaning...or more. And most great jokes have a underlying stratum of truth.

> Rita Rudner reverses the joke brilliantly, switching polarities if you wish.

Yeah, ok. But that's just one dimension.

> If John wants to riff on an act called 'The Shakers," then you'd need characters capable of reversing every Shaker stereotype. What would that be? Gaudy dress, opulent furniture, highly libidinous behavior, lots and lots of kids.

Fair enough, but it would be more thinly funny and I'm willing to bet that every comedian for the next generation would not be cutting his/her teeth on it.

>Of course, if you are doing a send-up on literary theory, the joke is on me. Good one. If not, you must get out more.

Could we just agree that it was a great movie and that the same joke can satisfy different people in different ways?

Joanna