It's the unproductivity thing, stupid (Re: [lbo-talk] Wow!)

Culture Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sat Oct 1 10:51:36 PDT 2005

The real problem is not the comment everyone's focusing on but precisely the _context_ within which he raised the comment to begin with. I'm kind of shocked so many people seem to have missed it. I haven't had time to read blogs, is anyone else saying it? I hope this gets out, because the issue _ought_ to be taken seriously and this is the issue that needs to be discussed.

http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/10/01/its-the-unproductvitity-thing-stupid-or-bill-bennetts-racism/

note: the word stupid is directed at Bennett, not the orig. poster.

It's not the crypto-eugenics that is hidden in his ref to the Chicago School research, though that's pretty bad.

What's horrible about what he said was how he revealed the way his mind processed ideas. So, my note to Bennett is: It's the unproductivity thing, stupid.

It's also his neoconbubbleness: he's trapped in the assumption that reference to that research is noncontroversial and when you make it, you neednt' bother getting into nuanced discussion of anything else. it's so noncontroversial in his world, he didn't have the mechanism to stop himself from saying it at all.

Culture Lab | Pulp Culture Collective http://www.pulpculture.org