[lbo-talk] Mussolini, Trotskyist

Michael Hirsch mmh at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 1 14:47:37 PDT 2005

I don't know the answer either, but in the demi-Trot world I inhabited as a yuff (mostly sitting at the feet of Hal Draper and Julie Jacobson) , their rap was that Stalin's pact with the Nazis was strategic, not tactical. Does that mean he expected it to last for decades. No, but certainly for many more years. Its collapse, said the elders, caught Uncle Joe totally unprepared and uncomprehending. Still sounds about right. And that's it for me on this thread.

Mike Hirsch

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> Sent: Oct 1, 2005 5:27 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Mussolini, Trotskyist

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:Stalin was
> supposedly surprised by the
> German invasion, but I think that had to do with the
> timing, not the fact. I'm willing to be corrected on
> this if anybody knows better.
>
> Comrade Khruschev claimed Stalin had a nervous
> breakdown for a few days.

Wow! I had no idea! Jesus Christ. Just stop it, dammit.