[lbo-talk] Michael Perelman, "Flexibility for Whom?" (from Manufacturing Discontent)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 1 16:00:09 PDT 2005

You all ought to be buying Michael Perelman's new book Manufacturing Discontent, sight unseen, but here's another taste of the book:

"Flexibility for Whom?" <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/perelman011005.html>

It's from a section focused on the subject of "flexibility" of work time. In it, Perelman says, "To make matters worse, the workplace demands often continue even after working hours. Job-related activities are also taking up more and more time, especially when workers remain connected to the job with cell phones, fax machines, and e-mail." Ain't that true!

It speaks to my experience of editing a webzine! (The last time I was away from home for more than a couple of days, email to my monthlyreview account began bouncing after mere _five days_ of not downloading email.)

Workers of the world, unplug!

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>