[lbo-talk] good news: most Americans don't think Godcausedhurricanes

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 1 20:14:50 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org>
> >
> >Even stranger how can 17 percent of the non-religious think that god DID do
> >it?

I haven't read the article on the poll, but the following is a probable explanation of the fact as given here.

Simple. Just as "politics" for most people equals _partisan_ politics (which is why an anti-war group, for example, can list itself as officially "non-political"), so for these respondents probably "religious" means "church-going." So they are non-church members who still believe in some sort of god who does various things.

Carrol