[lbo-talk] Jon Stewart misbehaves

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 2 09:12:33 PDT 2005

New York Post [Page Six] - October 2, 2005

WRONG 'SHOW' FOR MAG EXECS

JON Stewart was the wrong pick to emcee the Magazine Publishers of America panel at Lincoln Center featuring Graydon Carter (Vanity Fair), Jim Kelly (Time), Kate White (Cosmopolitan) and Dave Zinczenko (Men's Health). The "Daily Show" host was derisive and insulting. "He went to a dark place," said one magazine exec. Stewart asked Zinczenko, "Do all the men on the cover have to be - what's the word - glistening? ... When I read it, I don't know whether to go to the doctor or rub my nipples ... Why is your magazine so gay?" Stewart challenged Carter over VF's recent Paris Hilton cover: "That was ironic, right?" He accused Time's Kelly of cowardice in cooperating with federal prosecutors. And Stewart, apparently unaware he was being paid by magazine publishers ($250,000 supposedly) to perform for magazine advertisers, confessed he didn't have time to read and found the entire industry "irrelevant." Said one witness, "They all couldn't get off the stage fast enough - and I overheard Graydon Carter saying, 'Never again!' "