[lbo-talk] Bartels

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:41:46 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Let me put in a special word for my interview with Larry Bartels
> <http://www.princeton.edu/~bartels/kansas.pdf>. In that dry, academic
> poli sci way, he argues convincingly that cultural issues are not
> pushing the white working class to the right, and that people are
> more likely to hold both liberal (or conservative) economic and
> social points of view. Really worth a listen.

But, as I understand it, the argument is not whether people can or cannot hold both "liberal economic" and "social conservative" views. I'm sure they can hold of sorts of combinations and permutations. Rather, the question is which of their views matter most to people at the voting booth. If white workers hold "liberal economic" views but end up voting for Bush, then their economic "liberalism" is of little or no consequence.

Julio