[lbo-talk] USMC advertising on Craigslist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 07:31:03 PDT 2005

[Gawker did the work searching for the link: <http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/gov/100014303.html>. Curiously, the listing shows up in Safari's address bar with a peace sign as an icon.]

New York Post - October 3, 2005

CRAIGSLIST BOOSTING MARINES' RECRUITING By NEIL GRAVES

Local Marines have found a way to recruit tomorrow's warriors and save money - by using craigslist.com.

Marines at the Recruiting Station-New York, based in Garden City, L.I., began advertising on the popular site about a month ago.

"Every recruiting station across the nation can find different opportunities to target their area at the grassroots level," said Staff Sgt. Matt Butler of the Marines' First Recruiting District.

So far, it's paying off. Butler said half a platoon had checked in.

"We've had 15 contacts," Butler said. "It's been successful in [our] view." And the Marines, who pride themselves at doing more with less, had the right financial combination with craigslist - it's free.

"It's pretty cost effective as far as that goes," Butler quipped.

Craigslist said a smattering of local reserve units have taken to the Internet lately in a bid to sign up recruits.

The Marines, the Air Force and the Navy have all reached their recruiting goals as of the latest August tallies - but the Army hasn't.

With official fiscal 2005 tallies to be announced next week, the Army's latest figures show it is short by 7,000, or 10 percent, of its goal of 71,600. The Marine Corps, on the other hand, says it has a 102 percent rate, having exceeded its end-of-August goal of 28,632 by 541 recruits.