[lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

Michael Hirsch mmh at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 3 09:02:06 PDT 2005

Oh, did I offend the thought police? My bad. When did Hitchens become a "jive-ass piece of shit," guys? When he crossed over to the dark side after 9-11? I hate his politics now, and his debate conduct with George Galloway was even worse, a disgrace--this is the only person I can think of who could actually lose a debate to scumbag Galloway. But he's a public intellectual, not an obscurantist like so many others on that list. Wanna have a list of big thinkers you like? Make one up. But don't call it a listing of public intellectuals, who raise complex ideas in a broadly accessible way. Hitch, no matter what a schmuck he's turned into or how much blood is on his hands, is a public intellectual.

Mike Hirsch

-----Original Message----- From: ravi <listmail at kreise.org> Sent: Oct 3, 2005 11:50 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

At around 3/10/05 11:35 am, Carl Remick wrote:
>> From: Michael Hirsch <mmh at pipeline.com>
>>
>> Hitchens (infuriates the hell out of me, but is a commmate pub int.)
>
> If by "commmate pub int" you mean jiveass piece of shit, I would have to
> agree with you.

funny, my dictionary came up with the same translation too. good to see that we are all on the same page, here on LBO. ;-)

--ravi