[lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 3 10:50:08 PDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Oh, did I offend the thought police? My bad. When did Hitchens become a "jive-ass piece
> of shit," guys?

With the first or second column I ever read by him back in the '80s(?). He is simply not a very good writer. I thought public intellectuals were supposed to have complex ideas which they could pass on in terms available to the many. What complex idea did Hitchens ever have, even (or especially) when he was parading around as a leftist? A jerry rubin with snob appeal.

Carrol