[lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Oct 3 11:45:11 PDT 2005

So Carl, we only trash Hitchens when he moves right?

^^^^ CB: Of course ! rightwing is ultimately dumb for us. No matter how fancy the thoughts leading to being rightwing, they are at bottom , poor use of the intellect. Good writing form does not save bad content of ideas. Evil literary geniuses get no vote.

^^^^^^

Our definition of public intellectual depends on what side of the angels he sits? In truth, Hitchens has either been a scumbag since the days we aligned with him, or he's no scumbag now. Take your pick, but don't create an ideological litmus test for quality writing. As for trashing him now, trash away. I do. But it's politics that are repugnant.

Mike H