[lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

Michael Hirsch mmh at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 3 14:59:22 PDT 2005

Said as he breathed into a bag: "I want rightists of every stripe to feel harried and marginalized. I have no interest in even pretending to give them a hearing. AFAIC, the US is in a state of civil war, and they are the enemy."

Carl: We are not amused. Nobody cares about your interest. We care about stopping the right. Defeating it. And the way to do that is to understand them. Not to sympathize, not to walk a mile in their shoes, but to understand them. If you don't understand the appeal of fascism or corporatism or Xian fundamentalism or individualism or the other isms that compete with Marxism, you're useless to the fight. You can't win over working people with shifting alliances. And working people have shifting alliances. Until the day of the barracades, when the only thing that matters is your aim, you better work smart and not just angry. We have enough stupids on our side as is.

Mike Hirsch

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> Sent: Oct 3, 2005 5:37 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Poll of Top 5 Public Intellectuals! Vote For Chomsky!

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>... It
>is a cateastrophic error to suppose that there is
>nothing to be learned from the right, including their
>ideas. ...

No, there is nothing to be learned from the right, especially their "ideas."

I have watched the right swagger around academe and the government calling the shots for over three decades now and am heartily sick of their whole act. I'm tired of paleoconservatives, neoconservatives, libertarians, neoliberals -- the whole lot. Fuck 'em all. I want rightists of every stripe to feel harried and marginalized. I have no interest in even pretending to give them a hearing. AFAIC, the US is in a state of civil war, and they are the enemy.

Carl