[lbo-talk] Credit Card Loan Delinquencies Reach Record High

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 19:13:38 PDT 2005

I'd have to have a lot more data, but I was in the doctor's office today for a routine appt and was leafing through Consumer's Reports. It had a long, detailed article with lots of info about how CC companies are now gouging as far as the eye can see, in ever more inventive ways: big penalties if you don't pay the minimum; minimums so low, you never pay off the principal; no justice possible for customers because of arbitration clauses; and interest rates that jump from 12% to 30%!!!!!! for very dubious reasons. For example, using the CC too much! Missing a payment ON ANY CC affects interest rates on ALL CC's. Etc.

Apparently, when the regulations were dropped, the CC companies decided to go to town. Keep in mind, this was Consumer's Reports, not the Daily Worker. And yet, they were fuming at what's going on.

Joanna