[lbo-talk] Democrats [was: Wow!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 4 06:51:16 PDT 2005

Chuck:
> The Democrats have long been the safety valve that dampens dissent. But
> the Democrats are so confused and discredited that they can't serve as a
> viable alternative. Hell, the people who were yelling at Ralph Nader
> last year are up in arms against their own party.

I agree, they are laughing stock, but I would not rush to "blame" them, accuse them of "betraying da people" and similar nonsense that you often hear on this list. They are weak because the constellation of power has shifted, and the usefulness of Democrats acting as a safety vale has all but expired. Business interest has discovered that fomenting hostilities and culture wars does a much better job in that regard that relying on Democrats and their tokenism.

So the poor schmucks found themselves out the business masters graces and work hard against the odds to get back to these graces. What do you expect them to do - commit political suicide by thwarting business interests?

Wojtek