[lbo-talk] Harriet Miers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 4 11:05:22 PDT 2005

Jenny Brown:
> So now we know, the perfect Supreme Court nominee is one that emits no
light,
> a perfect sealed box of a candidate. What did she mean when she said she
> would 'strengthen the judiciary.' Is there some view that it's being
> weakened--by those infernal rabble in Congress and the state legislatures?

What it means is that the corporate class needs pliable functionaries not ideologues, and are getting just that. The usefulness of x-tian and other conservative idiots who voted for Bush has expired in his second term - so he feels no obligation to give them anything, let alone a controversial ideologue that may further damage the usefulness of the SC for maintaining the legitimacy of the corporate rule.

I think Bush - or his handlers - made a very clever move which should be recognized as such - even though it is not a move that most of us would applaud.

Wojtek