[lbo-talk] Wow!

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:57:43 PDT 2005

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 10/03/05 6:02 PM >>>
I was fascinated, in an unconvinced sort of way, by Larry Bartels' remarks at the end of his interview with me. He argued that the elite reads low approval ratings in the polls as a sign that the president is in trouble, and so is his agenda. . Doug <<<<<>>>>>

realize i'm over 3 post daily limit but i was away from lbo for 3 or 4 years, do i get at least a 1-day exemption...

less than half of president's in last half century have left office with final-year public opinion average above 50%, so, at some point (for various reasons), approval ratings decline, which leads to their influence declining...

number of presidential scholars have maintained that even as presidents lose influence over time, they become better at their jobs, therefore, they more effectively spend their 'political capital' - phenomenon is referred to as 'cycle of increasing effectiveness'... michael hoover

-------------------------------------------------------------- Please Note: Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.