[lbo-talk] French union density

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 21:02:27 PDT 2005

I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of the French situation, but from everything I've ever read about it, it's clear that their "union density" in any meaningful sense of the term is actually pretty damn high, at least compared to the US. Using membership in a union as a yardstick for "union density" makes no sense when the definition of what is a union member is so very different. In France the actual members of the unions are the "militants," but the contracts they negotiate cover most of the workforce. Also, it's my understanding that more than one union may typically operate at a workplace. I'll bet that if we had that situation even in a "right-to-work" state here -- maybe only a tenth of workers even bother to join the union, but the whole damn industry has to bargain with them and that sets the standard -- the rank-and-file workers would be likely to follow the union leaders when it mattered, too.