[lbo-talk] one George W hammers another

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Oct 5 09:39:00 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood

Washington Post - October 5, 2005

Can This Nomination Be Justified? By George F. Will

"Her victimization was not so severe that it prevented her from becoming the first female president of a Texas law firm as large as hers, president of the State Bar of Texas and a senior White House official. Still, playing the victim card clarified, as much as anything has so far done, her credentials, which are her chromosomes and their supposedly painful consequences. For this we need a conservative president? "___________________________________

It's odd that Will takes the administration to task for playing the victim angle for Miers. The right frequently does this on behalf of its female and minority members, at least when it is convenient for them to do so. Recall Clarence Thomas' sickening claim that the instances of his swinish conduct brought to light during his confirmation hearing were the equivalent of a lynching. I doubt if George Will denounced Thomas' ridiculous complaint at the time.