[lbo-talk] Middle Class (was Harriet Miers)

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:27:52 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>I don't get the last point, but I will concede you've caught me in some
>terminological inexactitude. So here's what I really think, if you or
>anyone else cares. The phrase "middle class," obscures more than it
>reveals, "objectively" speaking. It's a comforting self-identification for
>working class people with aspirations, and its a democratizing
>idenficiation for richer people who want to be common folk. But those
>self-i.d.'s are real, and have political effects.
>
>Also, the "professional-managerial class" in the US is not small. Their
>lives are quite different from more classically working-class people.
>They're a big part of the electorate, too.
>
>Strictly in income terms, the US has a smallish middle class compared to
>other rich countries - we've got more rich and more poor. You'd never know
>that from our popular discourse, however. But you can tell people they're
>not middle class all you like and you're lucky not to get punched in the
>face.

Someone was writing about the 1930s and opined that the tendency of people to self-define as middle class was a good thing because it revealed a desire to live in a more egalitarian society. He was struck by the fact that working class - often unemployed - men dressed themselves in jacket, tie and hat like solidly middle class men did. But I suppose the desire for an egalitarian society doesn't necessarily imply action toward one...

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.