[lbo-talk] KPFA (was MALIK RAHIM: Yesterday's Radicals Devolve....)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:16:37 PDT 2005

To the extent that you are describing the experience at WBAI, I agree that the democratic process there has been a very unhappy one. At KPFA (and even KPFK and KPFT) I think I can say that it has been a more encouraging story overall. I don't share your characterization of people as 'loons' however.

I disagree that the threshold number of votes for a board seat somehow signifies that the process is unfair or undemocratic. All it shows is that more people need to get involved and reminds us that this is a very new process - should we scrap democracy in the US because of low-voter turnout? Nevertheless The level of voting for Pacifica boards remains high when contrasted to comparable community radio station or non-profit boards (KQED, Sierra Club etc.) The answer is to get more people to the polls as it were. (note that the staff have separate elections which require even fewer voter proportionately and yet have equal standing as other board members) Voter participation levels however will not in themselves fix the fundamental problems we face.

Joe W.