[lbo-talk] KPFA (was MALIK RAHIM: Yesterday's RadicalsDevolve....)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:40:36 PDT 2005

>Some organizations protect themselves by establishing formal membership and
>membership dues - which drives most of the loons out, but many members
>oppose such a solution as undemocratic. So far, the community association
>am a part of resisted that solution, but the board is divided.

Pacifica does not have this 'problem' but then $25 may or may not be a prohibitive amount for 'loons'. The low-average for listener sponsor donations to Pacifica is about $100 per year. Also, the core of the Pacifica listenership is not necessarily as fluid as Doug might have it, most listeners are long-time residents of the given station areas and longtime supporters.:-

http://www.pacifica.org/governance/PacificaBylaws-new.html

ARTICLE THREE MEMBERS OF THE FOUNDATION

SECTION 1. MEMBERS DEFINED

There shall be two classes of members: (A) "Listener-Sponsor Members" and (B) "Staff Members", who shall collectively be referred to as "Members."

A. LISTENER-SPONSOR MEMBERS

"Listener-Sponsor Members" shall be any natural persons who within the preceding 12-month period: (1) have contributed a minimum of $25 to any Foundation radio station, or such minimum amount as the Board of Directors may from time to time decide; or (2) have volunteered a minimum of three (3) hours of service to any Foundation radio station. Said contribution shall be considered non-refundable. Said volunteer work shall be performed under the supervision of the Foundation radio station management, and shall include volunteer work on committees of the Local Station Board. Where a contribution is made jointly by two individuals and the contribution is in an amount equal to or more than the annual membership contribution required for two memberships (as set by the Board from time to time), then each of the joint donors shall be considered an individual and separate Listener-Sponsor Member. (For example, if John and Mary Smith jointly contribute $50.00 or more, then John Smith and Mary Smith will each be Members and will each have individual and separate Membership rights. However, if John and Mary Smith jointly contribute $40.00, then they shall jointly share one membership.)