[lbo-talk] KPFA (was MALIK RAHIM: Yesterday's RadicalsDevolve....)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:33:18 PDT 2005

Yes, it is true that the member-based democratic governance model fails to address the needs of the wider listenership. the Community Advisory Board is designed precisely to address this question - needless to say with mixed results. this is one of the questions that shall be discussed at the Monday October 10 meeting of the KPFA Community Avisory Board. While the CAB has no governing powers, I think the CABs could/should be just as important as the LSBs.

Joe W.

B. Nature of the Community Advisory Board

1. The law provides that "[t]he role of the board shall be solely advisory in nature...." It also stipulates that the board shall advise the governing body of the station and therefore must be distinct from and independent of the governing body. The purpose of the advisory board is to provide a vehicle for effective community input to the station's governing body about station programming, community service and impact on the community from the station's major policy decisions. Congress believed that the establishment of community advisory boards would assist the stations to develop programs and policies that address the specific needs of the communities that they endeavor to serve.

2. The law is not intended to preclude stations from establishing and maintaining other types of advisory bodies.

C. Relationship of the Community Advisory Board to the Governing Board of the Station

1. The law segregates the management and operational functions of the governing board from the functions of advisory board to ensure a clear demarcation between the governing board and the advisory board.

2. The advisory board is intended to provide the public the opportunity to be heard on station programming, community service and impact on the community of major policy decisions. All stations are encouraged to establish whatever mechanisms will be most effective, under local circumstances, to accomplish this congressionally established goal.

D. Composition of Community Advisory Boards

The station may exercise a reasonable degree of discretion in selecting advisory board members. The board should be reasonably representative of the diverse needs and interests of the communities served by the station. No individual representative of any particular group has a legal right to membership on an advisory board. Nor does the law empower any person, court, or government agency to require a station take or refrain from taking any action with respect to a station's programming or policies. The composition of the community advisory board must reflect its independent role, and may not include members of the station staff or governing body in anything other than an ex officio or administrative capacity.

E. Result of Noncompliance

CPB may not distribute any of its funds to any community-licensed public broadcasting station that does not have an advisory board which meets the requirements of the law. This prohibition against the distribution of funds is the exclusive remedy for enforcement of this requirement.

http://www.cpb.org/stations/certification/cert3.html