[lbo-talk] Mills's Power Elite

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Oct 6 17:57:08 PDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Your old pal Stanley Aronowitz ...recently wrote a fairly long article on
>> Mills: http://www.logosjournal.com/aronowitz.htm
>
> Wow, that's a pretty good essay. I had to look two or three times at the
> byline. Am I getting mellow in my old age?

No, like I said, bibliographic essays in the history of contemporary social theory have always been his strong suit. He can be quite a brilliant lecturer on the subject. It's where his whole rep comes from. You just happened to clash with him on all his weakest suits: number crunching, constructing historical narratives, and theorizing about science.

And especially the first, which is his absolute weakest, and where you are king. And where he should have deferred, and instead was supercilious. Oops!

Michael