[lbo-talk] Bartels

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 09:20:36 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>There are many reasons for stupidity - some of it is genetic (i.e. some
>people are born with lower learning ability or mental or affective disorders
>that inhibits their learning or reasoning), but I suspect that most of it
>learned, mainly from the parents. I think that the inherently hierarchical
>arrangement of the family (the "Because I say so!" thing) is probably one of
>the major contributors to world stupidity.

Yes and no. Sometimes children react against their parents rather than imitate them.

I'm thinking that one of the major contributors in the "advanced" countries is the precipitous pace of life and infinite growth of information. We reach the paradoxical stage where the more information and the faster we have to absorb it, the more likely we are to fall back on the simple heuristics of our "simple" earth-tilling, uninformed great grandparents.

Joanna