[lbo-talk] Bartels

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 7 09:26:12 PDT 2005

> --- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> My own approach (self-promotion: see Ch. 6 of my book
> _Civil Society
> and the
> Professions in Eastern Europe_)
>
> ---
>
> How can I get this book?

http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-40109-22-33167878- 0,00.html

But I have to warn you that this is an organizational level analysis. If you want something more macro on professions there, which is not neo-liberal propaganda or nationalist rant not worth the paper on which it is printed, check:

George Konrad and Ivan Szelenyi, _The Intellectuals to the Road to Class Power_ (HBJ, 1979)

Michael Kennedy, Proifessionals, Power and Solidarity in Poland (Cambridge U Press 1991)

See also Touaine, et al., Solidarity, The Analysis of a Social Moevment (Cambridge U press, 1983)

Weiner, Douglas R., 1999, A Little Corner of Freedom: Russian Nature Protection from Stalin to Gorbachev, Berkeley: University of California Press. (which focuses on environmental issues but prominently features the role of the intelligentsia in the USSR).

Wojtek