[lbo-talk] spat

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Fri Oct 7 10:00:09 PDT 2005

i mentioned that there is (to my knowledge) no significant govt regulation applicable to this matter (internet partitioning by the core network providers, due to business disagreements -- or other avoidable reasons). on nanog, this issue did come up and in keeping with the libertarianism of some of the internet set, the possibility of govt intervention has been used as a red flag to criticize such spats.

here are some related links from the list discussion:

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/10/07/dispute_threatens_to_snarl_internet/

http://www.betanews.com/article/Google_Goes_to_Washington/1128691070

> Google Goes to Washington
> By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
> October 7, 2005, 9:17 AM
>
> Google has announced that it plans to step up efforts to lobby in
> Washington, but it says that it would be working on behalf of the
> technology industry in general rather than in its own best interest.
>
> <...>
>
> One of the issues Google will tackle has become news this week: Level
> 3 and Cogent Communications are involved in a spat that has made Web
> sites on each network inaccessible or very slow to users on the
> opposite network. Google said the government has a responsibility to
> monitor the Internet so events like this do not occur.

--ravi

-- If you wish to contact me, you will get my attention faster by substituting "r" for "listmail" in my email address. Thank you!