[lbo-talk] UE on CAFTA

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:20:23 PDT 2005

When Andy Stern talks about "a new partnership with employers," he probably has his own experience of success in mind -- e.g.:

What should be noted is, though, that the sector in which Stern's union SEIU organizes the best is one of the few where such partnership -- bosses and workers lobbying the state for fatter contracts -- can make sense. That cannot be generalized across sectors. Look where "partnership" -- e.g., teaming up with the bosses to lobby the state for more lax environmental standards (especially regarding fuel economy) and allowing US automakers to develop a serious case of SUV dependence -- got the UAW in the age of rising gas prices.

Jerry Tucker writes:

<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/tucker041005.html></blockquote>

The CtW leaders may have some ideas of organizing service workers in the private sector (would their ideas work when the state makes more cutbacks?), but neither they nor the remaining AFL-CIO leaders offer much in the way of strategy with regard to "the sectors most damaged by capital's ever increasing mobility and neoliberal motives."

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>