[lbo-talk] Query: Exporting savings

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sat Oct 8 04:33:41 PDT 2005

One might add that this is also factoid economics with implications that are highly debatable implications.

Switzerland "exports savings" on the books. But of course most of that is another country's capital flight that has only been laundered in Switzerland. Norway buys foreign securities for the same reason as Kuwait (small oil rich countries trying to prevent distortion of the their non-oil domestic economy).

It is also debatable whether these numbers have any particular economic meaning (although neo-classical economists do think this way). Exporting excess "savings" doesn't necessarily mean anything good (i.e. could simply mean one is exporting "under-consumption"), nor does importing foreign "savings" mean anything bad. To begin with, one should start with the "real" economy and (for example) find out whether there is productive investment ("real" capital) or whether one is borrowing to cover short term consumption (usually by the rich). THEN one looks back at the monetary economy, not confusing financial capital with some "real" physical thing -- these are just credit decisions.

Paul

Marvin G. (and Dennis R.) write: