[lbo-talk] I am the evil twin of Michael Pugliese

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 9 04:28:28 PDT 2005

Adam Michnik, the hero of the Polish democracy movement, said the following. What should we make of this?

On the Iraq invasion:

"Saddam Hussein takes part in this [totalitarianism] just as Hitler and Stalin did before him. He asserts that in the holy war with the “godless West” all methods are permitted. Waiting for this sort of regime to obtain weapons of mass destruction would be plain recklessness." http://www.worldpress.org/Europe/1086.cfm#down

On the global justice movement:

"What is globalization? Internet, mobile phones, open borders? I’m afraid that fear is leading new volunteers to enlist under the banner of new ideological crusades. These people say they’re “pro-poor,” but they are not campaigning to open up the markets of rich countries in Europe and America to products from the developing world. They’re not debating reform of the IMF or the World Bank. That would be too specific, too down to earth. Like Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Joschka Fischer and Rudi Dutschke in 1968, they’re fighting in the name of certain revolutionary-communist, anarchist, situationist, Maoist or Trotskyist utopias. I can understand them. But today we are well aware of these utopias’ genuine nature: they’re stupid. To me, the anti-globalization movement is more the symptom of a crisis of thought." http://www.unesco.org/courier/2001_09/uk/dires.htm