[lbo-talk] more on the econ Nobel

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:05:22 PDT 2005

I second Wojtek's point about neo-liberal fantasies of authorship and IPR, but I also wonder if the analogy is worthwhile in terms of the historical use of both these constructions. Maybe I'm in over my head in terms of historical scholarship, but I understand the consolidation and revival of Shakespeare (and hence the consolidation of the work under his name) was something that was largely a 19th century process of consecrating the English canon which, in turn, was an ideological project meant to show that the British represented the pinnacle of civilization, the best that had been thought and said, and all that.

Isn't this basically the same sort of consecration that Bank of Sweden folks sought for the economic sciences--which at the time were being impressed upon the post-colonial world with the same hegemonic aspirations as Shakespeare was in the 19th century? With the implementation of institutions like the IMF and the World Bank, it seems like much of the post-war hegemonic order was based around the claim that economics and development were as predictable as the chemical fertilizers being sold as part of the Green Revolution. Though the prize is Swedish, US economic "scientists" have one the prize well over half of the time (by my rough count, 38 out of 54, not counting this year). I am not claiming a conspiracy, but the US certainly had an interest in funding research that can prove the claims of certain branches of social science are objectively true enough for policy implementation on a global scale.

Maybe it's a stretch, but it seems like the analogy is at least good enough for dinnertime conversation if not scholarly analysis.

-s

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:32 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] more on the econ Nobel