[lbo-talk] Shakespeare, Coke, Bacon, Egerton

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Tue Oct 11 21:58:02 PDT 2005

Michael Pollak

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Mark Bennett wrote:

> > 1) Practicing lawyers do tend to be short on poetry.
>
> Wallace Stevens?

Actually he was in insurance. But you probably remembered that right after you sent this :o)

True, Stevens was an long-time executive with Hartford A&I, but he graduated from Harvard law school and practiced law in New York for several years, before joining the legal department of an insurance company - I can't recall if it was the Hartford, or some other insurer. In that modest capacity he probably dealt with coverage issues, at least initially, and there is no task more likely to drain the poetry out of any man or woman than spending one's day analyzing coverage issues. Somehow, Stevens' poetic talent survived this professional handicap. A fluke, one would guess.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3913 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20051011/e1c151bb/attachment.bin>