[lbo-talk] Shakespeare, Coke, Bacon, Egerton

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 12 08:10:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Not something I claim much knowledge of but if the evidence is so
> overwhelming how to explain the abundance of scholarly work questioning
> authorship?

The answer from scholars is universally that it's not scholarly work -- it's work that purports to be scholarly:

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.aspx?story_id=2111727

It's basically a form of crackpotism. Although visionaries and crackpots can be fun, and can be intelligent, and often unearth fascinating things in their journeys, the question of where it comes from is basically a question of where such people come in general.

Michael