[lbo-talk] Shakespeare, Coke, Bacon, Egerton

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Oct 12 09:42:45 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:32:04 -0700 "Mark Bennett" <mab at straussandasher.com> writes:

> Doug Henwood
>
> Mark Bennett wrote:
>
> >So Stevens was a lawyer AND an insurance executive - a more
> unlikely
> >poet would be difficult to imagine. A fluke indeed.

And considering that he was a success both as an insurance executive and as poet, I think that sort of thing was unprecedented and probably has never been repeated since. I have read that he kept two circles of friends, one circle from the legal and insurance worlds and the other circle from the literary world. Not too surprisingly, those two circles did not intersect.