[lbo-talk] Mel Laird: we were winning in Vietnam, we could win in Iraq!

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Wed Oct 12 16:44:32 PDT 2005

[who knew this guy was still alive?]

He's not, it's tales from the crypt.

And what a load of bull. Who is the "we" that was "winning"? What would they have "won" had they won? And what would have been the final price tag of that glorious victory?

I regret to say this, but it's entirely possible that the hegemonic power of the US received a shot in the arm as a result of strategically abandoning its adventure in Vietnam and the aftermath of that abandonment. Perhaps on the basis of historical parallels, the left should surrepticiously seek to prolong the US occupation of the Iraq tarbaby.

The Sandwichman