[lbo-talk] Mel Laird: we were winning in Vietnam, we could win in Iraq!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 12 18:26:18 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>P.S. When Laird spoke at a Republican dinner here back in '71 or so,
>they had to sneak him in through the kitchen because we had the front
>entrance to the Masonic Temple blocked with people plus a lot of
>garbage. That was one of the fun demos.

When I was Secretary of the Yale Political Union and a member of the Party of the Right, we invited Secretary of State William Rogers to come receive an award. He couldn't get anywhere near the Law School, where the award was supposed to be presented, because it was surrounded by protesters. I'm embarrassed to admit I was not a protester, but a member of the disappointed welcoming crew. He invited the officers of the Union down to DC a few weeks later, where we presented the award and had lunch in his private dining room. What a creep I was for about 18 months then.

Doug