[lbo-talk] Zizek

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 12 18:45:20 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> So the great man will be scabbing on the union projectionists, will he?
>
> Astra looked into this and sought extensive counsel before agreeing to
> show the film at the IFC Center. The projectionists don't want a union.
> There's no picket line and no boycott.

There certainly was a picket line and boycott in August when I wanted to watch Darwin's Nightmare. And it certainly seemed like a much more solid boycott than the informational pickets in front of the Garden of Eden we discussed earlier this year (and which you were absolutely against crossing, iirc). In this case, we're talking a union theatre (the Waverly) that was bought by Cablevision, renamed the IFC, and re-opened with non-union projectionists essentially on anti-union principle (because ticket prices are identical everywhere). It's a move that stands out in its field as an entering wedge because virtually all movie theatres in NY do have union projectionists (very unusually for America).

Michael