[lbo-talk] Re: Wim Wenders at IFC Center This Weekend

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 13 13:57:19 PDT 2005

Dear List:

The following email was sent to Wim Wenders asking him not to appear at the IFC Center this weekend.

October 13, 2005

Dear Mr. Wenders:

The Raymond Sapene Group is a progressive e-mail list with an auteurist bent (though not exclusively auteurist in any way) that explores the intersection of film and politics (both defined very broadly) in the hope of making a modest contribution to the discussion and furtherance of progressive politics and art.

While members were happy to see that your film "Land of Plenty" was going to play in New York City and, in addition, that you were to appear before two screenings, we were disappointed to discover the venue: the IFC Center on Sixth Avenue in Greenwich Village.

We are writing now to let you know that the IFC Center is a non-union house that has refused to negotiate with the union representing film projectionists in New York City, Local 306, and, consequently is employing non-union workers.

In light of how "Land of Plenty" was filmed -- everyone on the set earning the same during the shoot ($100 per day), and then receiving a share of the film -- we believe that both "Land of Plenty" and your appearances were scheduled without your knowledge of these facts.

While you are probably unable to halt the screenings at the IFC Center and find another venue on such short notice, the Raymond Sapene Group urges you not to appear this Friday and Saturday evening, and instead join with workers and their supporters outside the IFC Center to let New York City and its film-loving citizens know about this outrage.

More information about this action can be found at Local 306's website: http://www.local306.org. You may also contact them by phone: 212-956-1306.

We thank you in advance for looking into this matter, and look forward to seeing you on the sidewalk and not in the theater this weekend.

Brian Dauth On behalf of The Raymond Sapene Group