[lbo-talk] Christ and Politics (was more on the econ Nobel)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Thu Oct 13 19:12:09 PDT 2005

Strictly speaking, I suppose the phrase is "dual nature" of Christ (rather than "hybrid" nature), no? But IIRC, this is from the Council of Nicaea (325 AD), expelling the Gnostics from Christianity (the Gnostics held to only a divine and not a human form since material forms are lower than spiritual ones) . The Council of Chalcedon (125 years later) took on the attempt to back pedal a bit, by expelling the Monophosites (Armenian, Coptic Christians, etc) who argue for a "dual form" but a single "divine nature". Later there was another split with the Nestorians (Assyrians, Persian, East Syrian and probably Maronite Christians) who accepted the dual form and nature but tried to split these into almost two entities.

As I understand it, these theological debates (with the expulsions and subsequent repressions) reflected enormous strife that was as much political and cultural as it was theological. "The East" (Egypt, the Levant, N. Africa, etc) has always been more influenced by the spirituality emanating from Persia and India which denigrates the material. The western Greek tradition is (partly) the reverse. Christianity, being established in both regions settled into a difficult-to-explain compromise.

The repeated challenges to the Catholic-Orthodox versions of Christ reflect partly the Eastern philosophical climate - but also very much their resentment and rebellion from rule by Rome and then Byzantium. The rebelliousness of the wealthy sophisticated eastern provinces were perhaps the major political struggles in early Christendom and so became no small question in the dogma.

After experiencing brutal and unrelenting repression from Byzantium these dissident churches may have welcomed the Arab conquers and some historians feel this split played a key role in propelling the Muslim conquest. And, indeed, for the next 1000 years these Churches benefited from relative toleration by their Islamic rulers -- very different than what they were receiving from rule by fellow Christians in Europe. In the 18th and 19th century, with the rise of Europe, some of these churches reached accommodative arrangements, entering the Catholic Church as autonomous units (sometimes, as in the case of the Maronites, revising the most contentious of their tenets on the dual nature of Christ).

Paul