[lbo-talk] blog!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 14 11:08:47 PDT 2005

Thomas Seay wrote:

> --- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Burstein, decades before becoming an investment
> > advisor for the
> > Blackstone Group specializing in the PRC was cadre
> > in the maoist group
> > that published The Call.
>
> That was the Revolutionary Communist League, wasn't
> it?
> The one that Baraka was in.
>
> Thomas

Baraka was in the Leage of Revolutionary Struggle. He split in 1988 when LRS decided to go along with the DP in the general election. I don't remember any organization called "Revolutionary Communist League." The Call was the paper of the October League, later CPML, led by Klonsky. There was a Communist Labor Party but not any Revolutionary Communist League so far as I know. Earlier there had been a Communist League [?not sure of this title] which became the CLP. I talked with two people from the CLP, and thought highly of them -- for one thing they were the most civil of all the new communists I met, and understood what they were talking about (though I disagreed with much of it)-- unlike travellers from some groups who clearly had nothing more to say than what they had been instructed to say. Nelson Peery (the leader of the CLP) was a black war veteran, who wrote a book of memoirs which I haven't read but which drew some admiring reviews.

Carrol