[lbo-talk] blog!

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:26:55 PDT 2005

From pg. 82 of the booklet by Irwin Silber of Line of March, "Kampuchea: The Revolution Rescued, " published in 1986.

"Of all the Maoist groups the CP(M-L) was the most vocal in its denunciations of Vietnam and its support of the Pol Pot regime. Dan Burstein, editor of the CP(M-L) newspaper, The Call, was the only left journalist to have visited Kampuchea during the Pol Pot years, and his glowing reports of life in the DK were promoted within the Maoist trend to demonstrate the 'success' of Maoism in Indochina. Several years later, Burstein ruefully acknowledged that he had been taken in by the Khmer Rouge and his trip had been stage-managed."

Burstein op-ed in the NYT, November 21, 1978. http://www.mekong.net/cambodia/chomsky.htm
>..."Everyone knows about the war waged by the United States in
Cambodia from 1970 to 1975. But very few people know about or understand the war that it is waging today against that country, which now calls itself Democratic Kampuchea. The was is being fought on many fronts. But it is mainly a propaganda war, a consciously organized, well-financed campaign to spread lies and misinformation about Kampuchea since the victory of its revolution in 1975.

"I was the first American to visit Kampuchea since April 17, 1975. What I saw has little in common with the stories told by so many journalists and other 'authorities' who have never been there...."

"The most slanderous of all charges leveled against Kampuchea is that of 'mass genocide,' with figures often cited running into the millions of people. I believe this is a lie, which certain opinion-makers in this country believe can be turned into a 'fact' by repeating it often enough."