[lbo-talk] Re:What Does It Matter Who Is Speaking?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 14 11:43:49 PDT 2005

Dear List:

jks writes:

> Johst was the inspiration for the main
character in Klaus Mann's novel Mephisto, also a movie from about 25 years ago.

The film was written and directed by Istvan Szabo and received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1981.

Szabo is a Hungarian director who did fantastic work during the Communist period in Hungary. Unlike most Eastern European directors, he was able to continue making films, though not as regularly as in the past. Two notable films from this later phase are SUNSHINE and TAKING SIDES (both available on dvd). His most recent film is last year's Annette Benning Oscar-bait BEING JULIA. He is at work on a new film scheduled for release next year.

MEPHISTO was also notable for introducing Klaus Maria Brandauer to a wider audience.

> I don't know if it has been translated.

There was a movie-tie version released at the time that was re-published in the mid-1990's with a cover featuring Brandauer made up as MEPHISTO. It is still available.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister