[lbo-talk] casualties

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 14 14:37:43 PDT 2005

I know that some people on the left have been skeptical about estimates of how many Iraqis the US has killed. This is from an article by John Mueller in the forthcoming Nov/Dec issue of Foreign Affairs - a publication of the Council on Foreign Relations, and so not exactly a radical source:

>By some estimates, the number of Iraqis who have died as a result of
>the invasion has reached six figures -- vastly more than have been
>killed by all international terrorists in all of history. Sanctions
>on Iraq probably were a necessary cause of death for an even greater
>number of Iraqis, most of them children.

I'm guessing that "necessary" is in the logical sense of causation, not that the sanctions were themselves "necessary."

Recall that Foreign Affairs had an article several years ago arguing that the sanctions had killed more Iraqis than all the weapons of mass destruction had in all of history.

Doug