[lbo-talk] Drop the Debt

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Oct 15 14:28:24 PDT 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> No, it's not crazy -- actually, now is the right time to get a
> coalition against credit reporting agencies going. Credit reporting
> agencies recently rejected ACORN's and other consumer rights
> organizations' request that they help hurricane victims by taking "a
> pre-Katrina credit score snapshot of all residents in the affected
> areas" (Bob Sullivan, "Next Storm for Katrina Victims: Bad Credit
> Score," <http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9614434/>, 7 Oct. 2005)! See, also,
> "Subprime Mortgage Industry Sandbags Katrina Victims": <http://
> www.acorn.org/index.php?id=9751>.

Cool. Then I'll go ahead with it.

For a long time I've been hoping that the American anti-globalization movement would tackle domestic issues like this. Like NAFTA, organizing around these issues would inspire many working Americans to get fired up and active. Maybe it's also time to nudge groups like MGJ in Washington to organize around "Drop the Debt for Americans" at next Spring's protests. They are good activists, but I've found that DC-based activists tend to live in a black hole which disconnects them from the grassroots.

> BTW, today is Michel Foucault's birthday. WWFD about credit reporting,
> a perfect example of surveillance?

One of these days I gotta read some of his books. But after I finish reading all of the cool stuff I need to go through for our anthology.

Chuck