[lbo-talk] Drop the Debt

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Oct 16 09:05:05 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I wrote a speculative passage in Wall Street that involved millions of
> Americans suddenly writing "non serviam" on their Visa bill, conceding
> that was unlikely, but that stranger things have happened. John Mage
> said that the only stranger thing he could think of was Aleister
> Crowley's sex life. It seems slightly less strange now. Seems like it
> would have great potential for an organizing campaign, esp if things
> start getting much uglier.

That's a funny and promising idea. If things get much worse there should be more people up for that kind of thing.

Some strange things have already happened this year:

* Hollywood had a terrible summer and has been fretting over the decline

in movie-going. Guess what? People voted with their feet. They say that the movies suck, that the prices are too high, and they hate all of the commercials. Hollywood's response? Free popcorn!

* Young guys stopped watching TV. OK, some of those who tuned out are watching again, but even having sports and crap available on 500 channels couldn't keep male eyeballs from going to the Internet and video games. By the way, the Internet has better porn than TV.

* SUVs sales fell through the floor after a modest rise in gas prices. Toyatas and Priuses are hot, Escalantes are not. Some middle class white people actually started taking the bus more.

Chuck