[lbo-talk] Drop the Debt

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 16 12:59:50 PDT 2005

Patrick Bond wrote:

> [...]
------------------------------------ In the 30's, of course, you had neighbours banding together - farmers in the countryside and tenants in the cities - to prevent evictions from farms and homes in the wake of rent and mortgage defaults. This presupposes a high degree of social solidarity, rarely seen outside a deep social crisis in which there is a widely shared sense of vulnerability. It requires a sharp drop in income or rise in interest rates or both which would make it impossible for large numbers of people to service their debts, and the corresponding determination of the authorities to coerce them into doing so. Right now, the response of lenders and the state is to steer debtors into counselling agencies and bankruptcy courts to squeeze whatever they can out of them by extending and easing the terms of credit.

I can see the educative value of a campaign focusing on rate gouging and manipulation, but what concretely would such a campaign call for at htis time? For example, would it recognize the legitimacy of the counselling agencies and bankruptcy courts and seek to reform them, as well as providing assistance to debtors appearing there? Or would it instead call for a boycott of these institutions by debtors, and, if so, how would it address their fear of losing their homes, cars, and other personal possessions? It would be interesting to hear more about the experience of Patrick and others with these campaigns.