[lbo-talk] The over-leveraged consumer

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 16 13:34:16 PDT 2005

Doug wrote:

> And how about those lines in front of the bankruptcy courts, racing
> to beat the new code taking effect on Monday? The bread line for the
> 2000s?

I was in one of those lines on Friday. Finally got my filing in, so I've officially joined the ranks of the creditless. Tons of people were there, most had jobs, families, careers -- the sad story of the US middle class, now deemed expendable by the Empire. There was a surprising amount of camaraderie, though. People were friendly, polite, helpful to each other. It's odd that when a social system is at its worst, people can sometimes show their best.

-- DRR