[lbo-talk] Re: Posner, Schmitt, Strauss?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 18:17:59 PDT 2005

> (BTW, thanks for answering the Posner, Schmitt,
> Strauss thread. I'll
> keep Posner on a list of things to read---although I
> have to admit, a
> bit cynically, looking for insight into what's wrong
> with America)

A lot of his stuff will serve that purpose, a lot of it is just interesting and thoughtful and procative.

>. . . . >
> Both movies develop related themes of what happens
> to the
> opportunistic man without qualities who merely
> adopts the reining
> ideology proforma. . . . .Media figures like David
Brooks should
> watch these
> flicks. It would be interesting to know if Posner
> understood the
> parallels. I am sure he would deny them tout court.

Doesn't fit P -- like Flann O'Brien's Myles na Gcopaleen, who spoke Irish at a time when it was neither popular nor profitable, Posner was a conservative in the pre-Goldwater years when being a conservative was a hardscrabble business. His parents were CPers -- I hear that that the Rosenberg kids got his old toys and clothes, but don't know if that is true. He went quite the other way. He clerked for Justice Brennan and everyone there in chambers was reportedly quite startled to find out how far right he was back in 1960 or thereabouts. No one who ever met Posner would say he's the man without qualities who adopts the color of the prevailing ideology.

__________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs