[lbo-talk] Miers: a good bowler

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 17 07:40:41 PDT 2005

[later in the story <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/politics/politicsspecial1/16miers.html>, we learn she's really good at punctuation too]

New York Times - October 16, 2005

Plenty of Praise for a Nominee, but Few Details By TODD S. PURDUM

WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 - Ask any of Harriet E. Miers's typically press-shy White House colleagues what she has been like in her years as a top Bush administration staff member, and the praise pours out. She is intelligent. Meticulous. Selfless. Insightful. But when it comes down to cases, they have a harder time.

"You know, she's a very gracious and funny person," said Joshua B. Bolten, the director of the Office of Management and Budget whom Ms. Miers succeeded as deputy White House chief of staff in 2003. "I was racking my brain trying to think of something specific."

In the next breath, Mr. Bolten recalled relaxing with her at Camp David. "She is a very good bowler," he said. "For someone her size, she actually gets a lot of action out of the pins."