[lbo-talk] Battle Hymn of the Republicans

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 17 12:29:16 PDT 2005

Mike Ballard wrote:

> (Sung to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic)
>
> Mine Eyes have seen the bungling of that stumbling moron Bush;
> He has blathered all the drivel that the neo-cons can push;
> He has lost sight of all reason 'cause his head is up his tush;
> The Doofus marches on.

This has one serious defect. Every single one of the actions mentioned have been supported by

a) Highly intelligent men and women with excellent syntax.

b) Core leaders of the DP (including Obama & H. Clinton.

aa) Hence it is effectively lying to equate Bush Administration programs with lack of intelligence. (In addition, of course, such nonsense also implies that there is nothing wrong with fundamental u.s. policy at home and abroad that intelligence in the White House would not repair.)

bb) Hence the title of the song is also effectively a lie, since the programs are by no means confined to the RP. (And, as with aa, this part of the song also implies that the murderous foreign policies of Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, and Clinton were acceptable.)

All in all, I see such songs as this as contributing strongly to the popular acceptance of u.s. imperial power.

Carrol