[lbo-talk] Re: working class?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Oct 17 22:47:59 PDT 2005

At 8:15 PM -0400 17/10/05, Doug Henwood wrote:

>There's always dictionary.com, which reports: "A person who lives on
>income from property or investments."

Whereas of course a capitalist lives on income from capital. The distinction is meaningless, surely you can see that?

> Property income originates ultimately in production (where else
>could it come from? financial assets are instruments of
>distribution) but the rentier is performing a different social role
>from the capitalist.

I don't know how to respond to that. It would appear from your earlier remark (to the effect that a capitalist who doesn't work is a rentier) that you distinguish the two according to whether the individual voluntarily chooses to work or performs some useful occupation in society. So a capitalist would be more moral as measured against the Protestant Work Ethic than a rentier.

But this is merely a subjective moral judgement. Class cannot be a value judgement we pass on other people. Relative ethics play no part at all. Just as scabs and the vicious rapists are no less working class for being immoral low-life, so the industrious, socially useful and ethical capitalist is still a capitalist.

Does "rentier" carry some negative emotional connotations in American English? In the same way as "exploit" sounds more negative than "use", though the definition is identical?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas